Summary Of Key Events 1910 - 2010
1910 Western Suburbs Rowing Club (WSRC) was founded
by Mrs Alice Bentley and Mrs Chambers. The club
rowed from Baileys then Kemps Boatshed at
1914 – 1918 The club ceases activity and members organise
drives for servicemen.
1920 NSW wins the Australian Championship with an all
WSRC crew. NSW also send crews in 1922/1923
1925 WSRC changes its name to Sydney Ladies Rowing
1928 NSW wins the Australian Championship with a full
The NSW Ladies Rowing Association is formed
1929 A very public altercation at a regatta between two
SLRC members gets front page news and gives rise
to Abbotsford Ladies Rowing Club.
Kemps Boatshed is taken over by Gus Green (Greens
1929 -1935 NSW wins the Australian Championships with all
Sydney Women’s Rowing Club (SWRC) crew.
1939 – 1945 The Club closes down during the Second World.
Greens Boatshed is sold and the Club moves to the
old Balmain Girls Boathouse.
1949 Australian Women’s Rowing Council re-commences
1951-1953 NSW wins the Australian Championships with a full
1953 The boathouse at Balmain burns down with the loss
of all the Club’s boats.
Balmain Men’s Rowing Club provides a home for the
Club and the loan of boats until 1959.
SLRC changes its name to Sydney Women’s Rowing
1959 The new SWRC boatshed is opened by the Mayoress
of Drummoyne Mrs Halliday in Battersea Park
1961 A concrete ramp is constructed by Drummoyne
1961-1966 SWRC members form part of all the crews
representing NSW at the Australian Championships.
1967 NSW wins the Australian Championships with a full
1984 The club becomes incorporated under the Associations
1991 SWRC wins the NSW Rowing Association Women’s
Shield for the highest points score with only 15 active
1992 SWRC votes to propose a merger with Sydney Rowing
1993 Sydney Rowing Club votes against the merger.
SWRC becomes SWRC Inc.
1994 SWRC competes at the World Masters Games in
1996 SWRC is disaffiliated with the NSW Rowing
The NSW Department of Sport and Recreation
approves a grant of $15,000.00 to extend and
improve the boatshed at Abbotsford.
1997 SWRC is re-affiliated with the NSWRA.
SWRC joins with Methodist Ladies College (MLC) and
becomes Sydney Women’s MLC Rowing Club. MLC
provided additional funding for the shed extension.
1998 Men officially join SWMLCRC as members and the
club begins competing at Masters Regattas.
1999 The boatshed extension is officially opened by Mrs
Barbara Stone Principal MLC School.
2002/05/07/09 SWMLC Rowing Club competes at the World Masters
Games in Melbourne/Edmonton/Zagreb and Sydney
2010 SWMLC Rowing Club celebrates its Centenary with a
special regatta and gala dinner.